Re: Re: Manipulator Import in Powerpoint

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82237] Re: [mg82225] Re: Manipulator Import in Powerpoint
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 03:21:28 -0400 (EDT)

The insidiousness of PowerPoint is beautifully and convincingly
expounded in the little pamphlet by Edward Tufte, "The Cognitive Style
of PowerPoint: Pitching Out Corrupts Within".  (www.edwardtufte.com/tufte)

It makes me shudder when I hear elementary school teachers boasting that
every student in their class learned how to make a PowerPoint
presentation to the class.

It even makes me shudder when I hear some of my colleagues tell me they
deliver their in-class lectures as PowerPoint presentations.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305