How to obtain numberical value from an InverseFunction?

Hello;

Are inverse function in Mathematica only have symbolic form and can't be
used to evaluate numerically?

Anything I am trying is not working, this is a very simple example:

f[x_] := x
InverseFunction[f][x]

Now, how to evaluate anything out of the above? say for x=0.5, I expected to
get .5, but all I get is just

any ideas? Very little help on InverseFunctions.

Nasser