Re: rationalize numerator of quotient

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81174] Re: [mg81125] rationalize numerator of quotient
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 03:45:19 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to all who replied, either here or privately.  I didn't try the
"obvious" method of using Simplify because, of course, I forgot
Mathematica's conception of "simpler".

And this is a good example where Mathematica's "simplify" is contrary to
what is taught in school about when a fraction is simpler -- in high
school it is often (unfortunately) taught that one should "rationalize"
the fraction so that the square-root is in the numerator and never in
the denominator.  Of course in calculus, when taking limits of such
quotients, that is precisely what you do NOT want to do, but instead
want to do what Mathematica's sense of simplifying here accomplishes.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu