Re: rationalize numerator of quotient

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81182] Re: rationalize numerator of quotient
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 03:49:28 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, that does it, thank you.  Of course I was hoping there was some way
to coerce Mathematica to do it without my explicitly operating upon the
numerator and denominator separately.

I don't know any English-language term for the operation except
something like, "multiply numerator and denominator by the same
quantity".  (Or, as I like to tell my students:  Multiply the fraction
by 1.  Today 1 is .../.... .)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305