question on 2 separate Mathematica instances on the same PC

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81237] question on 2 separate Mathematica instances on the same PC
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 03:33:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hello;

If one starts up Mathematica on a windows PC (XP), and then starts another
Mathematica (i.e. 2 completely separate Mathematica, not a new notebook
within the same Mathematica).  (I think one can start at most 2 per PC,
can't check this now).

My question is that, would the front ends of these 2 instances share the
same Kernel? i.e. may be when the second Mathematica comes up, it detects
that there is already Mathematica kernel running on the PC, and will use
that?

I am asking because I seem to notice a bit of weirdness when I do the above,
something that could be explained by both front ends sharing the same
kernel, but it could be my imagination.

If one brings up 2 Mathematica applications on the same, is there anything
they share?

thanks,
Nasser