confusion about Mathematica Print, Messages, Console, Stdout, Stderr and all that.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81320] confusion about Mathematica Print, Messages, Console, Stdout, Stderr and all that.
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 05:27:08 -0400 (EDT)

When I run some code, It contains number of modules, and some modules inside
others, and Manipulate also.

For debugging I mainly been using Print[]. Sometimes I see output go to the
same notebook, sometimes above the Manipulate cell, sometimes below, and
sometimes I see it go to the "Messages" window, and sometimes it does not,
and sometimes a Print[] output gets overwritten by the output of another
Print[] output from a different Module[], so some Print[] output I never
see.

What I really need do is the following: Send all my print output to a
separate open notebook, and not have any message being overwritten.   I have
read documentation on Print, CellPrint, Message, and few other Google
things, but it still not clear to me how to do this.

I could open a file and print to it, this is a sure way to have all the
messages in there, but I'd rather seeing them in a notebook.

btw, when I do

$Output=Streams[][[2]]
Print["test"]

No output is seen anywhere. Where is supposed to go? I am on windoz:
http://12000.org/tmp/091807/msg.PNG

I saw "ref/CellAutoOverwrite" and set it to False to prevent Cell overwrite,
but I am not sure how to use it with CellPrint[].

What is the recommended way to do this sort of basic task? I think
Mathematica should have a facility for better error logging given that no
good debugger exist. (I have given up trying to use the debugger, it is like
magic trying to figure that thing out for me)

thanks,
Nasser