Re: confusion about Mathematica Print, Messages,

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81345] Re: [mg81320] confusion about Mathematica Print, Messages,
  • From: Chris Hill <chill at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 03:45:40 -0400 (EDT)

At 04:27 AM 9/19/2007, Nasser Abbasi wrote:
>What I really need do is the following: Send all my print output to a
>separate open notebook, and not have any message being overwritten.   I have
>read documentation on Print, CellPrint, Message, and few other Google
>things, but it still not clear to me how to do this.

To send output to a specific notebook for logging, I would define my
own logging function.  It might look something like this:

$dbgnb = NotebookCreate[WindowTitle -> "Debugging Output"];
dbgout[data_] := (SelectionMove[$dbgnb, After, Notebook];
   NotebookWrite[$dbgnb,
    Cell[BoxData[ToBoxes[data]], "Print", CellAutoOverwrite -> False]];)

dbgout["test"]

Chris Hill
Wolfram Research