Re: step into dsolve routine on step at a time

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81365] Re: step into dsolve routine on step at a time
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 03:57:22 -0400 (EDT)

sean_incali wrote:

> Long time ago, I remember seeing an "option" or a function that allows
> one to see what DSolve is doing step by step.
>
> I just don't recall what it was. I searched everywhere for it and
> can't find it.
>
> Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
>
> It basically shows what DSolve does except step by step. I just don't
> recall if it was an external function written by someone or an option
> inside the DSolve.

Do you have in mind some options like:

"EvaluationMonitor is an option for various numerical computation and
plotting functions that gives an expression to evaluate whenever
functions derived from the input are evaluated numerically."

<http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/EvaluationMonitor.html?q=EvaluationMonitor>

or

"StepMonitor is an option for iterative numerical computation functions
that gives an expression to evaluate whenever a step is taken by the
numerical method used."

<http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/StepMonitor.html>

Also the function *Monitor* (new in v6) can be used:

"Monitor[expr, mon] generates a temporary monitor cell in which the
continually updated current value of mon is displayed during the course
of evaluation of expr."

<http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/Monitor.html>

The following tutorial might be useful too. "Monitoring and Selecting
Algorithms,"
<http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/MonitoringAndSelectingAlgorithms.html>

Regards,
--