Re: advanced fill effects for graphics primitives

I think Inset (new in version 6) has the functionality that you want.

The first example in the documentation for Inset is

Graphics[{LightGray, Disk[], Inset[Plot[Tan[x], {x, -3, 3}]]}]

which insets a plot of Tan[x] in the graphics primitive {LightGray, Disk[]}.

The documentation says that "The object [i.e. the inset object] can be a
graphic, cell expression, string, or any other expression. "
--
Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK