Flat colour in RegionPlot; millions of little triangles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81595] Flat colour in RegionPlot; millions of little triangles
  • From: Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:20:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I'm creating a bunch RegionPlot figures at the moment and I'm a little
concerned by the algorithm Mathematica uses to save the figure.
Consider something like this, adapted from the RegionPlot help:

RegionPlot[
 Abs[Nest[(#^2 + x + I y) &, x + I y, 16]] < 2, {x, -2, 1}, {y, -1.5,
1.5}]
Export["region-plot.svg", %];

(I've chosen SVG just so I can open the image in Inkscape. The effect
is visible in EPS and PDF images as well.)

The resulting image is a funny shape that consists of millions (I
exaggerate) of polygons that fill the region, obviously corresponding
to the mesh used in Mathematica to create the region. However, it also
creates a grey outline that is a *single* graphic object that is
otherwise transparent.

In Inkscape, I can delete *all* of the polygons and apply a fill
colour to the single graphic object that defines the outline. This
reduces the complexity and file size of the image by orders of
magnitude with the same (or better!) output quality.

Is there a way to replicate this process within Mathematica itself
before I output to PDF? I am loath to perform this task manually in
Inkscape every time I generate an image.

Many thanks,
Will Robertson