Re: Any Mathematica 6 book yet?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81594] Re: Any Mathematica 6 book yet?
  • From: Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:20:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 27, 10:47 am, Murray Eisenberg <mur... at math.umass.edu> wrote:
> I sometimes find it utterly amazing how deeply some mathematicians,
> scientists, or engineers believe that Mathematica is deficient in being
> handle this or that kind of problem (typically said about numerics, but
> sometime about graphics, too).

Well, considering that Mathematica lacks simple things like Chirp, it
really *is* deficient in some areas. It is slightly discouraging to
come to the platform and realise swathes of functionality that you are
used to be accustomed to need to be written from scratch. Not that it
isn't trivial, but every little function is a few minutes off the time
spent trying to get work done.

And it's further discouraging to come in right in the transition
between Mathematica 5 and 6 and realise that everyone's packages are
broken, and wonder that even if you attempt to fill the gaps whether
the work you do will still be useful in five years...

Obviously this is only a problem in areas that haven't yet been
targeted by Wolfram. I'm amazed by the depth of support in areas that
I'm not working in :)

Will