Re: Re: Any Mathematica 6 book yet?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81623] Re: Re: Any Mathematica 6 book yet?
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 06:25:52 -0400 (EDT)

"Murray Eisenberg" <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote in message
news:fdf236$20u$1 at smc.vnet.net...

> I sometimes find it utterly amazing how deeply some mathematicians,
> scientists, or engineers believe that Mathematica is deficient in being
> handle this or that kind of problem (typically said about numerics, but
> sometime about graphics, too).

There are few things that would make Matematica 'easier' to use by those
engineers who are so used to that 'other' tool (which we all know what it
is).  I am amazed that WRI still have not added such features after all
these years. Some of these things are:

1. Ability to zoom in and out of any part of a plot using the mouse. (I know
this can now be programmed using the new Dynamic features, but this needs to
be a build-in feature, just like the ability not to rotate 3D plots using a
mouse).

2. an EASY to use debugger. Something as basic as seeing line numbers and
setting a break point on a line number.  The current debugger is completely
useless for me, I can't ever figure how to use it. So I still debug my code
using Print[].  Using the 'other' system, never had to do this.

3. To Make Mathematica more attractive to 'engineers', add more control
systems functions to basic Mathematica. May be combine the functions in the
control systems application and the functions in the image processing
application into Mathemtica core. WRI might lose few bucks in sales from
those applications, but will gain thousands more in sales of Mathematica
itself (adding $5 to the price of Mathematica itself might end up balancing
things out).

I can make a much much bigger list, but we can just start with the above for
now.

Nasser