Re: Version 6 won't import Excel (Mac)

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg81611] Re: Version 6 won't import Excel (Mac)
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:29:07 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/28/07 at 2:10 AM, murray at (Murray Eisenberg)

>A colleague who uses a Mac with MacOS 10.4.10 has the following
>Mathematica 6 problem: He cannot get Import to work with either an
>.xls file or a .csv file created from an Excel spreadsheet.

>Instead, the resulting Output cell just contains a button that says
>"Import" followed by the arguments used to call Import in square
>brackets.  Clicking the button just opens the Documentation Center
>window to the page for "ref/Import" which describes how to use the

>Has anyone else experienced this on Macs?  Does Mathematica 6
>possibly use Java, and could there be some configuration problem
>involving that?

I've had no difficulty importing data from Excel files or
exporting data to Excel files using my Mac and version 6.0 of
Mathematica. In fact, I do this quite often since most of my
colleagues use Excel on a PC rather than Mathematica on a Mac as
I do.

The one thing I do that might make a difference is I use the
third argument to Export/Import rather than having Mathematica
infer the format from the filename.