Re: basic questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87359] Re: basic questions
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 07:16:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Markus,

see below.

Daniel

markus.mooslechner at chello.at wrote:

> hi everyone!

> first of all i would like to introduce myself to the list: i work as artist and would describe myself as mathematica noob. being an artist i am mainly engaged in visualizing chaotic systems, such as iterated function systems or time series from experimental data. now, here comes the mathematica bit for which i hope to find some information on this list (at the moment i do not own mathematica but have the chance to use it on one of the machines at the local university (mathematica 6)).

> i would be very happy to find some tips for those basic noob questions:

> - how can i import a 3 column (x,y,z) file into mathematica an do a 3d plot? ps: i managed the 2d version with something like data=Import["file", List] and ListPlot ... or so ...

Imoprting 3D works the same as 2D.

To plot colored points you may e.g. define a function that takes a point

and returns a color and a point, e.g.:

getColor[{x_,y_,z_}]:={Hue[z],Point[{x,y,z}]};

Graphics3D@(getColor/@{{1,1,1},{1,1,0},{0,1,1/2},{1/2,1/2,1/3},{0,1/2,1/2}})

> - is there an expression that colors certain values from the list with a color of my choice? (eg: the mean values from the list are rendered "red")

> - and number three: how can i tell mathematica to do the following: take an irrational number such as PI. now create a list according to the following rule: 3.14159265 ....->

> x,y,z

> 3,1,4

> 1,5,9

> 2,6,5

> .,.,.

to get triples of digits of Pi you may use RealDigits and Partition:

Partition[RealDigits[Pi,10,30][[1]] ,3]