Re: basic questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87372] Re: basic questions
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 05:52:39 -0400 (EDT)

markus.mooslechner at chello.at wrote:

<snip>

> - and number three: how can i tell mathematica to do the following: take an irrational number such as PI. now create a list according to the following rule: 3.14159265 ....->
> x,y,z
> 3,1,4
> 1,5,9
> 2,6,5
> ..,.,.

Hi Markus,

The following examples should be of interest. First, we build a list of
points pts that contains triple made of the first twenty-four digits of
pi. Then we use several built-in functions to visualize and interact
with the list (or dynamically build a new list).

pts = Partition[First@RealDigits[Pi, 10, 24], 3]

ListPlot3D[pts]

ListContourPlot@pts

Manipulate[
  ListContourPlot@Partition[First@RealDigits[Pi, 10, n], 3], {n, 9,
   192, 3}]

Animate[ListContourPlot@Partition[First@RealDigits[Pi, 10, n], 3], {n,
    9, 192, 3}]

Animate[ListDensityPlot[Partition[First@RealDigits[Pi, 10, n], 3],
   ColorFunction -> "SunsetColors"], {n, 9, 384, 3}]

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc