Re: Player Pro and Packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87931] Re: Player Pro and Packages
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:21:11 -0400 (EDT)

In article <fu4fnb$nkc$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com> wrote:

> Maybe Wolfram should ask Adobe for an advice, how to ensure that behind the
> content created for Adobe Reader is a genuine Adobe Acrobat license. The
> problems involved seem to be quite equivalent. ;-)

I do hope this comment was sarcastic or sardonic, rather than serious?

Is not the great virtue of PDF that it's a more or less fully _open_,
fully specified, and widely distributed format or standard, made openly
available by Adobe so that anyone with adequate coding skills can create
documents or display documents in that format _without_ having an Adobe
license at either end.

I understand that Adobe does retain some kind of ownership over it, and
they certainly sell tools that third parties can purchase to create or
read PDFS.  And, there are security links and password protections that
document creators can put into PDF documents to limit what recipients
can do with a document.

But my understanding was that the second paragraph above was nonetheless
more or less true (except for some unfortunate garbage related to
embedded fonts).  Is this not the case?