Re: Coordinate readout from Graphics3D?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88162] Re: Coordinate readout from Graphics3D?
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 06:31:05 -0400 (EDT)

Steve Gray wrote:
> I thought I saw somewhere that one could read out coordinates from a
> Graphics plot, according to the mouse position. I can't find it now,
> and I don't see how it would work with Graphics3D. But anything would
> help. Thanks for any info.

If you search MathGroup for "3D locator", you will find several threads
on this topic.  Here's one:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/3f40635cfe3356d6/dd11ad46016b8475

The idea is to use MousePosition["Graphics3DBoxIntercepts"] to find out
where a line perpendicular to the screen intersects the 3D bounding box.

If you are only interested in 2D, take a look at Locator, or, in
Mathematica 6.0.2, the "get coordinates" drawing tool accessible from
Graphics -> Drawing tools (CTRL-D).