Re: coloring leaves of a dendrogram

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91548] Re: [mg91538] coloring leaves of a dendrogram
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 06:40:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Paul,

  Here's a version of how I handled that thing on my dendrograms. Basically,
it involves replacing the leaf labels with Styles, and then making the plot.

   For example, my "formattedTogetherLabels" below takes the original labels
("togetherLabels" here), turns the ones which are numbers to small, black
labels, and those which are strings starting with "Ishi" to have blue text,
and light-blue, slightly transparent backgrounds. Of course, you can
generalize to any number of different styles. Once that expression is done,
just issue the usual DendrogramPlot command, with the option of:
LeafLabels -> formattedTogetherLabels

formattedTogetherLabels = Text[
     Which[
      NumberQ[ToExpression[StringTake[ToString[#], 2]]],
      Style[#, Black, Smaller],
      StringMatchQ[#, "Ishi*"],
      Style[#, Darker@ Blue,
       Background -> Directive[Darker@Blue, Opacity[0.2]], Smaller],
      True, Style[#, Black, Smaller]]
     ] & /@ togetherLabels;

           Eventually, I'll post how I make a dendrogram and have Mathematica
pull the graphics apart, and then you can apply styles (coloring, line
styles, etc.) to the different branches.

              Hope that helps!
                        C.O.

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 01:28:51 Paul Slater wrote:
> In my hierarchical clustering of 3,000+ US counties,
> I'd like to be able to distinguish the counties
> (all of which cluster together) of certain states.
>
> I  have the dendrogram I want. I would further
> now like to highlight the five counties of Hawaii
> (which form a cluster) by the same color, and so on
> for a few other states, regions...
>
> Paul B. Slater

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov