Re: Definition of new distribution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94661] Re: Definition of new distribution
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:24:17 -0500 (EST)

On 12/18/08 at 7:22 AM, janostothmeister at gmail.com (janos) wrote:

>I wonder if I can define a new cotinuous or discrete distribution,
>to make it possible to use it in the same way as the built-in ones.
>I can define e.g. CDFGeneralizedExtremeValueDistribution, or
>PDFGeneralizedExtremeValueDistribution, but not the distribution
>itself. FullForm of a known distribution does not help either.
>Should I use it in an earlier version of Mathematica, where the
>distributions came form a package, therefore you could see the
>structure of the definition?

>Could you give me some better advice please?

I would suggest examining the code in packages that provided
this functionality in version 5. It seems to me once you see how
this would provide a good start toward generating your own
distribution functions that behaved in a similar manner.

Another possibility is the package MathStatica. This is a third
party commercial package which unfortunately has not been
updated yet to work with either version 6 or version 7 of
Mathematica. But it did provide a means to define your own
distributions. Details can be found at <http://www.mathstatica.com>

The web site indicates a version compatible with version 6 and 7
of Mathematica is expected in the next 4 weeks. However, the
date such a version is to be available has steady moved into the
future over the past year. Consequently, I've no real confidence
this latest estimate will be true.