Re: mathematica 64-bit for ms windows

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85497] Re: mathematica 64-bit for ms windows
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 04:04:22 -0500 (EST)

But be aware that if you are buying a new computer, from Dell at least, and
you specify a 64 bit microprocessor, you will not necessarily get a 64 bit
operating system, and may not even be able to install a 64-bit operating
system. So if you are looking to use 64-bit Mathematica check out very
carefully before purchase that you will indeed have a 64-bit operating
system.

As I understand it, the main advantage of a 64-bit operating system is that
you can address more memory, beyond 2GB, but that it is not significantly
faster - and may even be slower. (Others may correct me or expand on this.)

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/