Re: How should I start with mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85510] Re: How should I start with mathematica?
  • From: Camille JORDAN <ynceraj at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 04:11:11 -0500 (EST)

My advice is
get some good Mathematica books

favorites of mine are

Mathematica Navigator
http://www.amazon.com/Mathematica-Navigator-Mathematics-Statistics-Graphics/dp/012603642X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202763339&sr=8-1

an Introduction to Mathematica
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Programming-Mathematica-Third/dp/0521846781/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

and

Mastering Mathematica
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mathematica-Second-Programming-Applications/dp/0122961056/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202763621&sr=1-1

If you can master those 3 books then update your knowledge about new
functionality on version 6.0 with

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/guide/Mathematica.html

if you have questions then come here and if you know all the answers
them come here to help answering questions! :-)

While reading the books put yourself little problems and try to solve
them using mathematica and check on the above books on how to solve
your own problems.

another source of inspiration could be going to the wolfram demo
project and try recreating some of the demo there or just reading the
code to see how they are done.

Regards