Re: Re: Locator 3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84678] Re: Re: Locator 3D
  • From: "Fred Klingener" <gigabitbucket at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 03:49:21 -0500 (EST)

"???" <zhengji.li at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:flv5q1$2av$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Dear all,
>
> I think we can get some inspiration from 3D games.
>
> For example, Homeworld. By moving the mouse we are moving the 3D
> selection point on X-Y pane, then holding SHIFT down and moving the
> mouse to move the selection point on Z axis while (X, Y) are not
> changed.

A natural enough approach to manipulating a pick cursor, but the crux here
is relating the resulting 2D screen coordinates to a pick object in
Graphics3D space.

A lot of the work can be done with user-accessible information (like
ViewMatrix), but there seem to be key data hidden. The display changes size
with labeling option e.g.

AFAIK the only place the complete transformation is exposed is in
EventHandler with MousePosition["Graphics3DBoxIntercepts"].

Fred