Re: Labeled Plot not a Plot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90645] Re: Labeled Plot not a Plot?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 05:36:09 -0400 (EDT)

In article <g5kin2$8mg$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

> > When the exported my_labeled_plot.pdf file is either viewed in the
> > TeX'd file or just opened in Acrobat, the label string at top left
> > changes to
> >
> >    "\nMy label string\n"
> >
> > *including* the quotes.  (All the text labels and Epilog->Text stuff on
> > the plot itself are just fine.)
> >
> > What do I need to do?  (I like using Labeled, and would rather not have
> > to give it up.)

> Hi,
>
> no it is a combination of graphics and floating text. Use PlotLabel
> when you need a label for the plot. And clearly TeX/LaTeX has a
> \caption{}.
>
> Regards
>    Jens

OK, thank you for reply.  I guess, "What M6 does is what M6 does," and
one just has to get used to it, and then (all too often, these days)
figure out how to work around it somehow.

In the present case, I add the label to the plot because that's what I
want on the exported graphic, which goes in my files and may be used for
publications, slides, reports, class notes.  I like to do this using
Labeled because it's a convenient approach, easy to code, and effective.
I can write a module with the plot parameters and label string as
arguments, that generates the plot, then calls Labeled; and then call
this module repeatedly to generate multiple plots that are graphically
consistent.

If M6's programmers, can generate the PDF to display the plot plus the
label on my computer screen all together **in a single cell* (and also
with the \n line feeds properly interpreted), seems like they could
manage to Export that cell as a single PDF file.  Programming the Export
function to include the label but as a quoted string seems just bizarre.
[Is there _any_ other situation where M6 shows a normal text string on
screen, but Exports it to PDF as a quoted string?]

I guess the workaround in this case is to correct the exported plots in
an external graphics app -- and add this to the growing list of poorly
considered user interface decisions in M6.

[And by the way, AFAIK PlotLabel can't put a label anywhere except top
center, and modifies the size of the plot itself depending on the label;
and Plain TeX, which I use, has no \caption{}.]