Re: Re: export eps

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90787] Re: [mg90759] Re: export eps
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 04:52:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 03:57:42 J Davis wrote:
> On Jul 22, 3:02 am, "David Park" <djmp... at comcast.net> wrote:
> > There is a big difference between using SaveAs a .pdf file say, and
> > Printing to the Adobe PDF printer with an up-to-date Adobe Acrobat!  When
> > I do Jens-Peer's first example:
> >
> > ContourPlot[Sin[x*y], {x, -Pi, Pi}, {y, -Pi, Pi}]
> >
> > using the Print to Adobe PDF printer, with Adobe Acrobat 8, I obtain a
> > file that is 49 KB in size.
> >
> > The Mathematica SaveAs .pdf command produces huge files of very poor
> > quality. For example, for another test I did with a small notebook, the
> > SaveAs command produced a pdf file of 1,762 KB (and very poor quality)
> > compared to 85 KB for the Print to Adobe PDF command.
> >
> > I don't know why that is.
> >
> > --
> > David Park
>
> Thanks, David (and other who responded with solutions above. I will
> try them soon.
>
> I hope this is something Wolfram will address soon. It is too
> fundamental to ignore, IMO...
>
> John

  So far as I can tell, using "Save Selection As" and "Print to... PDF file"
give file sizes which are the same (within several kB for a ~ 1.4 MB file).
However, this is using Linux, and not the OS X's nifty "print anything to
a .pdf" ability.  Opening either file using Acrobat (or other .pdf readers)
gives quite a pause as all of the constituent polygons are drawn and filled.

 Does anyone else using any Linux get the file sizes radically different?

                Regards,
                             C.O.

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov