Multidimensional FITS files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90824] Multidimensional FITS files
  • From: yves.grosdidier at gmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 06:16:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I am trying to import a 4 dimensional data FITS file: 1024 x 1024 x
272 x 1.

This file is a bona fide FITS file, created by the Canadian Astronomy
Data Centre (more precisely it is one file extracted from the Canadian
Galactic Plane Survey: http://www1.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cgps/query.html).

After the command,

 nebula=Import["CGPS_MB2_HI_line_image.fits.gz",{"GZIP","FITS"}];

here is the error message I obtain:

Import::errstruct: "Malformed data structure. \!\(\"Missing required \
keyword BITPIX\"\)."

Using another software, I have checked that the required keyword
exists...

My question: is Mathematica able to handle FITS files having more than
2 dimensions (data cubes, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Yves Grosdidier