Re: SetOptions[TableForm] doesn't seem to work?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89294] Re: SetOptions[TableForm] doesn't seem to work?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 05:36:53 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for replies from David Park and Helen Read, and I'll set to work
learning Grid.

But to respond in defense of TableForm, there are many occasions when
one is not formatting material for printing or distribution, instead one
is doing an initial analysis and just wants to get a quick one-shot
picture of how some expression is going to behave, or test some function
one is coding.

In that case, what could be simpler, quicker, terser, and easier to
remember than

   Table[---table contents---]  //  TableForm

Don't need to mess with headings, 'cause I know what I'm putting in the
table; don't need to make it look nice, 'cause I'm not printing it
anyway; can instantly change the iterator and reevaluate if I need to
see what the expression does over some wider range or narrower subrange;
can see if expression blows up at end points or intermediate points,
*without* losing intermediate points.

And while we're on the subject of how making things better makes them
worse:

1)  I believe default horizontal spacing for Table used to be 2 or 3
spaces, which was enough to make most tables readable.  Now it's been
set to just one space, which is not.  One can see some logic for making
the default the minimum, I guess, but I think that was a bad design
change.

2)  I believe the default for TableHeadings used to be no rules under
headings; now default is a rule, and it's too tightly spaced, looks ugly
-- and as far as I can tell would involve deep-level messing with
styles, not just options, to change this default.