Re: Happy Birthday Mathematica!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90011] Re: Happy Birthday Mathematica!
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 04:43:38 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/25/08 at 6:23 AM, akoz at mimuw.edu.pl (Andrzej Kozlowski) wrote:

>I also started with version 1.2 on a Mac II at US university where I
>had my first job. However, on an assistant professor's salary I
>could afford neither Mathematica nor the amount of RAM required (8
>megabytes!) to run it on my home computer, so I used it only
>occasionally. The first version that I could run on my own Mac (Mac
>II fx) was version 3, and by that time I was teaching in Japan.

Interesting. Your experience with Mathematica fairly closely
matches my own it several respects. I too started with version
1.2 on a Mac II. In my case, as an engineer with a working wife
and no children, I had a bit more disposable income. So, it was
my home machine that had Mathematica while the company didn't
see the need. But in essence, not having it both places meant I
only used it occassionally. Like you it wasn't until version 3,
I had access to Mathematica both at home and at the office which
is when I really started using it on a daily basis.