Re: Range of Use of Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg1] Re: Range of Use of Mathematica
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 02:00:59 -0400 (EDT)

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> I think you somewhat misunderstood my point (and I think AES's point
> too). To put it in a nutshell: if you wish to use Mathematica only as
> a computational engine and use TeX, Illustrator and whatever other
> programs you wish to use for non-computational tasks, then you can do
> this just as well with Mathematica 6 as with 5 or earlier, and in fact
> much better, since the computational engine is now much more powerful.
> It has become much more powerful without any fundamental changes to
> the basic structure of the language (which is not the case with some
> other rival programs). So, if you do not care for Mathematica's
> typesetting, graphic and presentational capabilities you can simply
> ignore them - they in no way affect the computational ones. Indeed,
> this has to be so, otherwise the Kernel would not be able to function
> without the F.E. and it obviously does.
> Your concerns about the FE becoming over complex for newcomers
> (whether justified or not) affect only those newcomers who need
> capabilities other than pulling down menus, copying and pasting and
> using Shift-Enter. If I am not mistaken, AES thinks that these are the
> only FE capabilities Mathematica needs. My point is that for users who
> adopt his approach (which I have nothing against in itself,
> particularly that it isn't all that different from mine) there has
> been no significant in difficulty and complexity. Even the complaint
> about the lack of printed documentation does not carry much weight, if
> all that you care about is the Kernel, since available documentation
> for earlier versions is more than enough to turn one into a (Kernel)
> power-user.
>
> Finally, I would like to add one comment on the issue of WRI's
> "strategy" that AES has raised. Actually, this strategy has been very
> clear many, many years, in fact even since WRI decided to re-position
> Mathematica from a "system for doing mathematics by computer" (in
> other words a "CAS") to "fully integrated technical computing system".
> Note the words "fully integrated". To me it has been clear for more
> than a decade that this was meant to imply things like typesetting, a
> fully programmable graphic engine (independent of PostScript), and
> other things. In fact, any one who attended any of the numerous
> Mathematica demos, particularly those conducted by Theo Gray, could
> have had no doubt about this. Has this been a success? Well, let me
> point out that quite a large number of commercial general-purpose CAS
> have appeared since Mathematica's debut (and some even earlier). With
> one notable exception none of these has been a commercial success and
> most are available now as freeware. I would say that is a pretty clear
> vindication of Wolfram's strategy.
> By all means have a discussion of the "product strategy" of
> Mathematica if you enjoy this sort of thing. Butif if anyone hops to
> stop or reverse the ongoing process of "integration" (as in "fully
> [...]

My comments regarding the size of Mathematica related particularly to
the future. The problem is that a new user doesn't know, say, that for
his purpose he should concentrate on the kernel functions (he doesn't
even know what the kernel is) - he is presented with the totality, and
has to figure out how best to use the product. A potential user may get
no further than reading a review that presents Mathematica in a way that
seems to him to involve an excessive learning curve.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk