Re: Eliminating common factors?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93411] Re: Eliminating common factors?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 04:08:00 -0500 (EST)

On 11/5/08 at 4:54 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:

>In article <gepb1g$sg6$1 at smc.vnet.net>, SigmundV
><sigmundv at gmail.com> wrote:

>I was assuming they would know at least some basic TeX syntax, since
>it's a lingua franca for every colleague (and grad student) that I
>know.

But clearly the set of readers here is larger than the set of
your colleagues and grad students you know. And even if *all*
grad students are familiar with TeX, the set of grad students
reading messages here is surely a subset of the readers. And
since TeX is reasonably esoteric for many modern computer users,
the assumption TeX would be understood by most of the readers
here isn't very good.

It is far better to post expressions in Mathematica syntax.
Since this group is specific to Mathematica, it is very
reasonable to expect all readers to understand Mathematica syntax.