Re: Re: QuickFactorInteger

On 27 Nov 2008, at 19:28, Daniel Lichtblau wrote:

> Give a second argument of Automatic. This is similar to the
> pre-version-6 option FactorComplete->False.

This actually brings to my mind a question. Mathematica 7 seems to be
departing from the long established practice of using Options to do
this sort of thing. This is one example (Automatic given as an
argument rather than an option). Even more striking departure is:

MonomialList[x^2 + x*y^3 + 2*x - 1, {x, y}, DegreeLexicographic]
{x*y^3, x^2, 2*x, -1}

althoguh, for example,

PolynomialReduce[x^2 + x*y^3 + 2*x - 1, x - 1,
    {x, y}, MonomialOrder -> DegreeLexicographic]
{{x + y^3 + 3}, y^3 + 2}

etc.

So, the obvious question is: is there a method in this, ehm, approach,
or is it just due to a fit of absent-mindedness?

Andrzej Kozlowski