Turning off default rules associated with TableHeadings?

Simple option to turn off (forever!) the default horizontal and vertical
rules associated with the TableHeadings option -- the ones that got
added with M6?

[I realize this is a really trivial niggle, but I also really dislike
the look of those rules in Tables -- especially since the default
spacing between the horizontal top rule and the first row of the table
is badly chosen, at least for my eye.]