Re: Export ListPlots using PlotMarkers to .pdf

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg93106] Re: Export ListPlots using PlotMarkers to .pdf
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 01:29:50 -0500 (EST)

  Thanks, Jean-Marc. I got the attached .pdf, which looks nice.

   Unfortunately, no matter what I do (in linux), the produced .pdf files have the same problem, whether I use a third-party program or not. In Windows, the same problem exists if I use Mathematica's "save as .pdf" option; if I use a program like PDFCreator, then things look OK. I don't have the tremendously nice chance to use OS X's built-in pdf writer.
    I haven't yet tried all of the permutations of print-to-various-ps-formats-then-convert.
   Hopefully, the direct-to-pdf option will work in Mathematica in some future versions.

On Saturday 25 October 2008 02:15:15 Jean-Marc Gulliet wrote:
> Curtis Osterhoudt wrote:
> > A nice ListPlot may be made using various PlotMarkers; it's especially easy for me to use symbols like \[GrayCircle]:
> >
> > ListPlot[{#, Sin[13 #]} & /@ Range[0, 1, 0.01],
> >  PlotMarkers -> \[GrayCircle]]
> >
> >   However, if I want to save such a plot as a .pdf (whether using Export,  SaveSelectionAs, or using print-to-pdf-file), the symbols are screwed up, with the filling and the outlines offset from each other.
> >
> >    Is there a way to get better results using such PlotMarkers?
> >
> >      ( This is using "6.0 for Linux x86 (32-bit) (June 2, 2008)")
> You may want to use a third-party program to print/save PDF files
> (GostScript maybe). On Mac OS X 10.5.5, if I use the built-in Apple's
> PDF writer in the dialog box for Print or Print Selection, the resulting
> PDF file displays correctly the custom markers. (I have sent you such a
> PDF file by email.)
> Regards,
> -- Jean-Marc

Curtis Osterhoudt