My talk "The Joy of Tagging" at this year's International

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93109] My talk "The Joy of Tagging" at this year's International
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 01:30:25 -0500 (EST)

Hello All:

I gave a talk at this year's International Mathematica User Conference
titled:

 "The Joy of Tagging: Manipulating and Mining Notebooks in
Mathematica."

You can get the notebook version of this talk from

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/notebooks/

I think that there is some useful stuff here that can be helpful for
folks who want to create Notebook oriented Mathematica tools.

Here is the abstract:

One of the key elements of a Mathematica application that deals with a
variety of documents is tagging. Mathematica's user interface for the
tagging of notebooks is minimal, even though the functional interface
is very powerful. This talk is about the tricks of the trade for
tagging and manipulating notebooks that I have learned and discovered
through creating a very large document-oriented Mathematica add-on
called A WorkLife FrameWork. A great deal of tagging of notebooks is
done in A WorkLife FrameWork, and this is used to create a very wide
range of functionalities to automatically navigate among content, as
well as to nonlinearly extract desired content from notebooks that
have a random assortment of material in them=96the wheat from the chaff.
Also, A WorkLife FrameWork provides user interface tools to enhance
and make much more useful Mathematica's tagging potential. I will
describe how these tools were created and provide useful examples. The
tricks that I will describe will allow you to design your own tagging
tools whether or not you have a license to A WorkLife FrameWork.

I hope that this is helpful.

--David