Re: How to change the FrontEnd Encoding?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91863] Re: How to change the FrontEnd Encoding?
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 05:11:04 -0400 (EDT)

Julius Carver wrote:

> I'm using Mathematica 6 on Linux and I would want to know if there is
> any possibility to change the encoding of the FrontEnd. I've googled
> the net and only found a way to change the Kernel encoding.
>
> Most modern linux distributions use UTF-8 as its base encoding but the
> FrontEnd is fixed in ISO8859-1. Therefore I'm having some problems
> when I open files in directories that have characters with tildes or
> something, like /home/f=F3=F3.
>
> In the open dialog the FrontEnd does recognize these directories. But
> the window title is not displayed correctly and if I try to save the
> file with "Save as", the open dialog throws me a lot of errors saying
> "Could not read directory /home/f~~"

I am not hundred percent sure that this is what you are looking for and
if the option is available on Linux (I use Mac OS X), but open the
option inspector (menu Format -> Option Inspector) and under Global
Preferences, look for Formatting Options -> Font Options ->
CharacterEncoding. In the drop down menu select the encoding scheme you
wish.

Hope this helps,
-- Jean-Marc