Re: Diagonalize sparse matrix and documentation in version 6.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92255] Re: Diagonalize sparse matrix and documentation in version 6.
  • From: Thibaut Jonckheere <Thibaut.Jonckheere at cpt.univ-mrs.fr>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 03:33:05 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks a lot.

 With your help, I have now found these pages in the documentation
(looking for 'linear algebra', and then chosing the 'Linear algebra in
Mathematica' tutorial). I have however no 'Virtual book' option in the
Help (I am using version 6.0.1.0), which is a pity. Is there another way
to access the  book as a whole with version 6 ?

Thibaut Jonckheere

Szabolcs Horvát wrote:
> Thibaut Jonckheere wrote:
>> Dear Group,
>>
>> I am currently writing code involving the diagonalization of large
>> sparse matrix.  With a little research, I found this post on the group:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/04e12cc442615ff1
>>
>> explaining some very useful options (like Method -> {Arnoldi,
>> MaxIterations -> 10^5,
>> Criteria -> RealPart}).
>>     However, I found no mention of these options in the documentation
>> center of my Mathematica v6. The best I could find is this page on
>> Wolfram site:
>> http://documents.wolfram.com/v5/Built-inFunctions/AdvancedDocumentation/LinearAlgebra/4.4.html
>>
>> but the page is for version 5.0 and called obsolete. I could not find
>> an equivalent page for version 6.  Am I missing something, or are
>> these options for eigensystems not documented in version 6.0 ?
>>

> If you have a newer version of Mathematica 6, then go to Help ->
> Virtual Book -> Mathematica and Algorithms -> Advanced Topics ->
> Linear Algebra.
>
> http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/LinearAlgebraInMathematicaOverview.html
>
> http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/LinearAlgebraSparseArrays.html
>

> These doc pages are present in *all* versions of Mathematica 6, but
> they might be a little difficult to find.

Thibaut Jonckheere
Centre de Physique Theorique
Campus de Luminy, case 907
13288 Marseille cedex 9