Re: A Package Function Tutorial

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg92245] Re: [mg92228] A Package Function Tutorial
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 03:31:11 -0400 (EDT)

Where, exactly, should which files in be extracted?

The page "Writing Professional Mathematica Functions" at the cited URL
says to do so in $UserBaseDirectory, which in my case is:

Do I literally just extract the whole zip archive there, preserving its
directory tree structure, of course?  Including putting PacletInfo.m at
the top level of that $UserBaseDirectory??

I ask because that's what I did, and I restarted Mathematica 6.0.3 --
with a clean cache just to be sure.  But I don't see how to access the
documentation now. There's no item for this in Installed Add-ons.  And I
don't see any other kind of link on the Documentation Center's home page.

Also, what do the files in the directory PlatformInstallClean do??

blackhole at wrote:
> I have written a brief introduction to writing package functions that
> implement most of the bells and whistles one would associate with a
> professionally written function.  Some of the topics covered are
> implementation of Automatic in functions, overloading of built-in
> symbols, and others.
> Yes, most of the material can be found scattered in the shipping
> documentation, but my sense is that there is no good place to find
> essentially a checklist of the features a good function should have,
> like argument checking, attributes, syntax coloring, etc.  You will
> find that I am no expert, but perhaps someone at Wolfram (or
> elsewhere) will be offended enough to contribute some good
> suggestions.
> You can find it at my website,
> Here you will also find a package I published last month, a NURBS
> package providing a bridge from parametric curves and surfaces to CAD-
> friendly IGES format.

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305