Comparison between Mathematica and other symbolic systems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92378] Comparison between Mathematica and other symbolic systems
  • From: Paolo Bientinesi <pauldj at aices.rwth-aachen.de>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:33:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everybody,

As part of a presentation to students, I will have to support the
claim that "Mathematica is better than other systems when it comes to
symbolic computations". Some experts in other systems will be
giving a 15 min presentation to convince the audience of the contrary,
and then it will be my turn.

At this point I am quite clueless on how to make my point across.
First of all, I am not at all familiar with any other system's
symbolic toolboxes, so I don't know what are the weaknesses. Also, I
am not sure what kind of demo could really make an impression on
graduate students and colleagues.

Has any of you any experience on this? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thank you!
--
Prof. Paolo Bientinesi, Ph.D.
RWTH Aachen University, AICES