Re: UNDO and Mathematica - how useless

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg98601] Re: UNDO and Mathematica - how useless
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 06:14:38 -0400 (EDT)

dbreiss at wrote:
> The backup functions in A WorkLife FrameWork are certainly a help here
> (also note that there is a cell level backup functton there as well).
> But it is not quite the solution needed for basic editing and textual
> input.
> But I think that a basic Undo functionality in Mathematica is
> essential.

People have been asking for this for years, but WRI seems to have a
complete blind spot in this matter :(

In practice, a single-level UNDO is nearly useless, because of the
uncertainty as to what constitutes a 'level' - particularly in the
context of a complicated product like Mathematica.

I would have thought UNDO is feasible for any non-output cell that does
not contain Dynamic elements - plus perhaps a few other reasonable

David Bailey