Export / pipe problems

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg98756] Export / pipe problems
  • From: Frederick Finkelstein <fred.finkelstein at>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 03:37:15 -0400 (EDT)

Dear All,

using Mathematica Vers. 6 on Linux, I expected that

fig = Plot[x, {x, 1, 10}]

Export["!lpr", fig, "EPS"]

should work like advertised in the Documentation Center, instead, I get

an error message

lpr: error - stdin is empty, so no job has been sent.

The same happens with

Export["!lpr", "Hello World", "Text"]

Does anybody have a idea why stdin could be empty?

Of course, Export["fig.eps", fig, "EPS"] works fine and lpr also.

The documentation says,

Export["!prog",expr, ...] exports data to a pipe.

Do I misunderstand something?

Thanks for any idea.

Kind regards,

PS: The purpose is to replace Display["!PSPrint", fig] as Display does
not exist any more in v6.