Re: Options for Eigenvalues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96128] Re: Options for Eigenvalues
  • From: mark mcclure <mcmcclur at unca.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 04:11:27 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 5, 4:45 am, Sebastian Meznaric <mezna... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently found out, reading some of the older messages in this
> newsgroup, that Eigenvalues has an undocumented Method option. Does
> someone know what methods, aside from Arnoldi, can be specified and
> what other options there may be?
>
> Although Mathematica documentation is fairly good, it still leaves
> plenty to be desired.

In the documentation center of either V6 or V7 type:
tutorial/LinearAlgebraInMathematicaOverview

You will be taken to extensive documentation detailing
a large swath of linear algebra, including the use of the
Arnoldi method and other methods.

For some reason, this section is labeled as obsolete in
V7 and it seems hard to find from the main help browser.
I still find the bulk of it to be relevant and important.
Furthermore, I don't see anything on linear algebra under
the New in 7.0 headings.

Mark McClure