Re: Re: Re: Re: Log[x]//TraditionalForm

   From what I've seen, (most of) the physics books published recently (and going so far back as 1953, though Morse & Feshbach's _Methods_of_Theoretical_Physics_ was "renewed" --- whatever that means --- in 1981) have the "ln" notation, rather than "log". This is pretty much true across the spectrum, from optics to acoustics to math methods to GR to fluid mechanics to classical dynamics and electrodynamics, and so forth. It's also true at all levels, from undergraduate texts to very specialized texts. In that respect, there's no "more advanced course" to go on to, unless it's more associated with maths in the stead of physics. Maybe we're still to attached to our Napier's Bones.

   Once one is in the field, it should almost always be obvious from context what base logarithm is being used, unless (and this one is a large pet peeve of mine) the authors are inconsistent, or mix notation. Students have no call to be confused by such little things :)

                     C.O.

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov
PGP Key ID: 0x4DCA2A10