Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Log[x]//TraditionalForm

Of course what Murray meant by "advanced" meant "advanced
mathematics". ( I myself wrote "aimed at mathematicians"). I think
most people will agree that physics is "what physicist do" and
engineering is "what engineers do" so presumably mathematics is what
mathematicians do. (Others might use it but they do not normally *do*
it, with the exception of a few "borderline cases", most notably
Edward Witten).  And Murray's (and mine) point was that in advanced
books meant for mathematicians the notation ln is (almost) never used,
which of course does not mean that it isn't used in very advanced
texts in physics etc.   There are several reasons why mathematicians
do not like the notation ln. One is that in text on analysis the only
logarithms ever considered are the "natural" ones. As there is no need
for any other logarithms there is no need for any special notation for
"natural logarithms" (they are the only ones). Moreover, the usual one
dimensional logarithm is only a special case of the inverse of the
exponential map in the theory of Lie Groups (or even manifolds with
connection) and these logarithms do not involve any basis and nobody,
not  even physicists writes ln for the inverse of the general
exponential map.
Someone the same thread suggested that the "criterion"  for an
"advanced  book" should be whether it uses the notation log or ln, and
probably thought himself very witty. However, this immediately brought
to my mind a very famous story, which played a big role in the history
of mathematics and which has a lot to do with this issue

Just a few days after the unexpected death of his father, Galois took
the the entrance examination to the =C9cole Polytechnique for the second
time. It became a legend in the history of mathematics. He was aware
that a refusal would be final this time, if he would flunk again. The
examiners, though being recognized mathematicians, were not capable of
detecting the mathematical genius of Evariste Galois. One of the two
examiners asked the fatal question: He should describe the theory of
the arithmetic logarithms. Galois criticized immediately the question,
and mentioned to professor Dinet that there are no arithmetic
logarithms. Why didn't he simply ask for the theory of the logarithms?
Thereupon Galois refused to explain some propositions concerning
logarithms. He said that it was completely obvious! This was
apparently the dot on the i: He failed the examination.
(Quoted  from http://www.galois-group.net/g/EN/fate.html)

Evariste Galois was certainly a very "advanced" mathematician. His
examiner Charles Louis Dinet, in the words of the historian E.T. Bell,
was =93not worthy enough to sharpen his (Galois) pencil=94.

Andrzej Kozlowski

=========
=========