Re: Which editor do you use for math articles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95453] Re: Which editor do you use for math articles
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:56:35 -0500 (EST)

In article <gkv08u$dck$1 at smc.vnet.net>, I joined the chorus in this
thread saying that for document preparation (where "document" can be
taken broadly to include all kinds of documents and presentations), a
modular or multi-tool approach generally involving TeX plus PDF is in
every way preferable to any sort of "Mathematica-only" approach -- and
I'm encouraged to see a number of other people independently saying more
or less the same thing.

I also gave a list of what seemed to me the main benefits of this
modular or multi-tool approach, but I overlooked one.  It's been added
in below:

-----------
> Bottom lines:
>
> 1)  If you do the above, you'll be using Mathematica for the one thing
> it's really good at -- and using other, much better tools for the tasks
> that Mathematica is not at all good at.
>
> 2)  You'll have immensely more flexibility for making changes or
> tweaking things at each stage in the process, without going all the way
> back to the beginning, as well as great flexibility for re-using or
> re-purposing individual parts or components of your documents.  And,
> your tools for doing this will be essentially WYSIWYG, and will have
> much better documentation.

*** 2.5)  You'll have meaningful backward compatibility or long-term
*** stability, in the sense that if you want to go back and reuse or
*** modify some project or set of files that you created say five or
*** ten years ago, the file formats for your output documents will
*** still be valid and usable, and the source files will likely be also
*** still be usable with minimal modification.