Re: Which editor do you use for math articles

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg95494] Re: Which editor do you use for math articles
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve at>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 05:45:39 -0500 (EST)

For live documents nothing comes close to Mathematica. However, if you need
to use a widely-accepted standard then LaTeX is the best solution. If you
like to edit your LaTeX code directly then the WinEdt/MiKTeX combination is
quite usable, but I much prefer to use a GUI to hide the LaTeX code. With
this in mind, for the past 5 years or so I have used Publicon
( to create LaTeX files, but Publicon is
still at version 1.0.1 five years after its original release in mid 2004 so
I am concerned about its future. Recently, I have been looking at the free
Lyx (, and after a month of playing around with it I
have nothing but praise for this wonderful piece of software. Also,
transferring Publicon->Lyx via LaTeX seems to be robust. One could create a
semi-live document by hot-linking the LaTeX to demonstrations (or whatever)
running in Mathematica Player. For instance, static diagrams in the document
could have interactive counterparts that run in Player.

Stephen Luttrell
West Malvern, UK