Re: Re: Which editor do you use for math articles

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg95544] Re: [mg95494] Re: Which editor do you use for math articles
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:46:01 -0500 (EST)

I downloaded LyX last night and so far have mixed reactions... I'm used to
editing WYSIWYG in NeoOffice. It's weird seeing the text spaced all
funky-like (non-proportional fonts or something like that) UNTIL you
decide to make it printable or PDF.

I'll spend a little time, though, and see if I can get used to it.

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 04:45:39 -0600, Steve Luttrell
<steve at> wrote:

> For live documents nothing comes close to Mathematica. However, if you
> need
> to use a widely-accepted standard then LaTeX is the best solution. If you
> like to edit your LaTeX code directly then the WinEdt/MiKTeX combination
> is
> quite usable, but I much prefer to use a GUI to hide the LaTeX code. With
> this in mind, for the past 5 years or so I have used Publicon
> ( to create LaTeX files, but Publicon
> is
> still at version 1.0.1 five years after its original release in mid 2004
> so
> I am concerned about its future. Recently, I have been looking at the
> free
> Lyx (, and after a month of playing around with it I
> have nothing but praise for this wonderful piece of software. Also,
> transferring Publicon->Lyx via LaTeX seems to be robust. One could
> create a
> semi-live document by hot-linking the LaTeX to demonstrations (or
> whatever)
> running in Mathematica Player. For instance, static diagrams in the
> document
> could have interactive counterparts that run in Player.

DrMajorBob at