Re: Re: Re: Which editor do you use for math articles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95593] Re: [mg95544] Re: [mg95494] Re: Which editor do you use for math articles
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:01:24 -0500 (EST)

I very much recommend trying to stick with LyX for a couple of days, at least until you're convinced it's not for you. It even can use Mathematica (harder for me to get it to work on Windows than on linux; I don't know about OS X integration) as a math engine, so that if you type in an expression in a LHS = RHS format, it can often return the expression or its value automatically to LyX and typeset that.
   It's definitely my preferred way to produce any sort of scientific document, with Mathematica graphics incorporated as .pdf or .fig files.

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 04:46:01 DrMajorBob wrote:
> I downloaded LyX last night and so far have mixed reactions... I'm used to
> editing WYSIWYG in NeoOffice. It's weird seeing the text spaced all
> funky-like (non-proportional fonts or something like that) UNTIL you
> decide to make it printable or PDF.
>
> I'll spend a little time, though, and see if I can get used to it.
>
> Bobby
>
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 04:45:39 -0600, Steve Luttrell
> <steve at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > For live documents nothing comes close to Mathematica. However, if you
> > need
> > to use a widely-accepted standard then LaTeX is the best solution. If you
> > like to edit your LaTeX code directly then the WinEdt/MiKTeX combination
> > is
> > quite usable, but I much prefer to use a GUI to hide the LaTeX code. With
> > this in mind, for the past 5 years or so I have used Publicon
> > (www.wolfram.com/products/publicon) to create LaTeX files, but Publicon
> > is
> > still at version 1.0.1 five years after its original release in mid 2004
> > so
> > I am concerned about its future. Recently, I have been looking at the
> > free
> > Lyx (http://wiki.lyx.org), and after a month of playing around with it I
> > have nothing but praise for this wonderful piece of software. Also,
> > transferring Publicon->Lyx via LaTeX seems to be robust. One could
> > create a
> > semi-live document by hot-linking the LaTeX to demonstrations (or
> > whatever)
> > running in Mathematica Player. For instance, static diagrams in the
> > document
> > could have interactive counterparts that run in Player.

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov
PGP Key ID: 0x4DCA2A10