FourierTransform

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96001] FourierTransform
  • From: Fabian <NOSPAM_fahasch at yahoo.de>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 06:45:55 -0500 (EST)

I just got the new version (7.0) of Mathematica and was full of hope
that the function FourierTransform is finally improved. (If you have no
idea what I'm talking about try FourierTransform[Cosh[x],x,t] on
Mathematica 6) It turns out that the developers have added support
for the Human Genome project but did not manage to improve the basic
mathematical functions considerably. For example try:

 FourierTransform[1/Cosh[a x],x,t]

Any ideas why this is the case? I always thought that an average user
is more into Fourier transformation than into image processing?

Cheers,
  Fabian