Re: Player Pro Limitations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101843] Re: Player Pro Limitations
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 07:14:25 -0400 (EDT)

Andrew J Fortune wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have started using Player Pro. I am a hobbyist, and was led to believe
> that this was an inexpensive alternative to the full Mathematica (PS I
> can't purchase Home Edition, as I live in Australia).
>
> After hours of playing with this product, I still have many unanswered
> questions. They are as follows, and I would be glad if someone could
> enlighten me on these:
>
> (1) Is there any documentation, "getting started" guides or tutorials
> that are SPECIFIC to Player Pro ?? Unfortunately, the only help option
> from the Help menu dumps you straight into the full Mathematica
> documentation. This is unhelpful.
>
> (2) The comparison table for Mathematica vs Player Pro vs Player states
> that, amongst other things, in Player Pro you have the following
> capabilities that are not available in Player (i) Dynamic capabilities
> other than from Manipulates; (ii) Keyboard entry to text fields; and
> (iii) Dynamic document creation. Can someone provide me with examples of
> these, as blowed if I can find them ??
>
> (3) If you can't create and edit notebooks in Player Pro, then why is
> there an Evaluate menu ? .... Furthermore, why is there a "Replace"
> option on the Find dialog ? (PS I tried using these, and they seemed to
> be totally crippled).
>
> (4) As a hobbyist, I am not interested in export and deployment of
> Mathematica applications and notebooks. Seems to me that if you take
> away these features away from Player Pro, you end up with something very
> closely resembling the free Player. Is that a fair comment ? (....if it
> is, then I am pretty p*ssed off, as it means that I have been misled).
>
> (5) Is it also a fair comment to say that Player Pro doesn't allow you
> anything in the way of mathematical creativity, i.e. its someone else's
> creation that you plug in to Player Pro, and then export/deploy ?
>
> Thanks one and all for your help. Hope I can get some mileage out of
> this product.
>
> regards,
> Andrew Fortune,
> Melbourne,
> Australia

I am afraid you have been badly mislead. PlayerPro is meant as a
platform on which to run code developed on a full Mathematica - it
essentially enables developers to sell or give code to others, rather as
they can if they write C or Java code.

It might be worth contacting Wolfram Australia to see if there is some
way to purchase the home edition.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk