Re: comments on Wolfram Alpha

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100418] Re: comments on Wolfram Alpha
  • From: dbreiss at gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 01:10:05 -0400 (EDT)

Because W|A is, in effect, a Mathematica application deployed through
web technologies, there is a blurry line that separates questions that
are clearly W|A related from those that have a significant Mathematica
component.

But I think that the right policy is to let questions that involve
clarifying Mathematica insights into this group. And I am sure that
someone will ultimately create a google group (moderated?) that covers
technical aspects that are strictly W|A.

The http://community.wolframalpha.com forum, though certainly useful,
is probably too close to the WRI corporate marketing realm to properly
and fully serve the community.  There is clearly room for other
complementary resources.

So, my recommendation for his group is that there should clearly be a
Mathematic component for questions related to W|A.

Ok, but I am going to violate this rule right now anyway  :-).

The question has come up in the media repeatedly as to what the proper
verb for Wolfram|Alpha is similat to "to google something".
**Obviously* the verb is "to Alpha."

--David