AnimationDirection when Exporting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100639] AnimationDirection when Exporting
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 05:32:40 -0400 (EDT)

Suppose I want to export an animation (using Animate or Manipulate) so
that the exported animation runs once in the forward direction and stops.

Here's a little example, of a circle moving from left to right along the
x-axis.

anim = Animate[
   ParametricPlot[{Cos[t] + k, Sin[t]}, {t, 0, 2 Pi},
    PlotRange -> 10], {k, -12, 12}]

Export["anim.avi",anim]

In the resulting AVI, the circle moves from left to right (the desired
Forward direction), and then it runs Backward, from right to left. One
would think that setting AnimationDirection->Forward would fix this. So
try exporting this:

Animate[
   ParametricPlot[{Cos[t] + k, Sin[t]}, {t, 0, 2 Pi},
    PlotRange -> 10], {k, -12, 12},AnimationDirection -> Forward]

It still runs once Forward, then once Backward.

I've also tried specifying the direction within Export.

Export["anim.avi",anim,"AnimationDirection" -> Forward]

Still no joy.

Is there any way to get the exported animation to run once in the
Forward direction only? This has been a nagging issue for me for quite
some time.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont